Monday, May 2, 2011

Life long learning


I always thought when I heard "Life long learning" (it was drilled into my head in nursing school)it was about keeping up with education and the current medical procedures etc. Now I come to realize that it just doesn't end at your workplace, it actually belongs in all aspects of your life as a human being. I've always thought of myself as openminded but I think I can be quite narrowminded in my presumptive assumptions of people in general as "first impressions" go. I have found that you have no idea what is going on at all. I simply don't know squat!

I have been reevaluating my life a lot lately. As a new single person getting to know myself again and jumping into the dating scene and realizing my own behaviors, insecurities and reactions to things. Then I was getting hard on myself thinking "what is wrong with me?" the what if's, why's, overanalysing. I second guessed my intuition. Then a friend lent me a book. It was a "aha" moment as Oprah would say. I could now let go of the shoulda woulda coulda. I felt like I was a bit of a failure. I thought what makes me feel good? and happy? and what makes me feel successful? I realized my job did and setting goals and obtaining them. I was getting satisfaction out of that because I new at least I could do a good job there even if I felt like I had poor luck/choices/etc in the love department.

I set goals and I attain them. You can see where I'm getting at. To be a nurse I had to go to school and learn about biology, chemistry all the systems of the human body and how if functions and reactions to medications based on chemistry and such. I can't set a goal in the romance department because you are dealing with another human being with it's own mind, judgments, values ideas etc. And CHEMISTRY but you can't measure it - you can however FEEL it! I guess I could try taking a class but I would have no idea where to start. But would that help me to find someone? Someone who liked me for me? Or would it help me with "relationships" in general with people? There comes a point where you just have to throw up your hands and say - Hey, this is me. I am who I am with all my quirks and baggage and someone is either going to like you or they are not and you have to be ok with that.

As Joe Dirt would say "Keep on keepin' on"

No comments:

Post a Comment